Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Getting Kids to Read to Their Pet

Our patron, Freedom resident Dawn Alexander-Tapper, read the online article about Louie and his favorite books and she had this memory to share:

I loved the feature on our little Louie!  I wanted to share with you what I used to do with the book 3 Stories to Read to Your Cat and its counterpart for dogs.  When I taught third grade, I would loan out those books each day to my students and the next morning, the child would tell the class which stories they read to their cat or dog and how the reading went.  The kids were so cute.  They'd say things like, "Harry's favorite story was the one where they made dog biscuits because he licked his lips when  I read it to him."  It was such a fun experience!  Some of the kids would certainly exaggerate their pets reactions and it was hilarious- but I know for sure that they were reading on those nights that they got the book.

No comments: